I am an INDEPENDENT SADDLE FITTER and my main goal is to make sure that the saddle is working for you and your horse no matter what model or brand it is.
A little history…
A native of Germany, my profession for many years was as a translator for a number of international companies. While translating German, French and English, I had many great experiences and the opportunity to live in such amazing locations as London, Paris, the Caribbean and Bermuda.
Always with a horse, I rode competitively in Europe, competing up to 4th level dressage and eventing to Prelim in Germany. While working in France, I had a healthy taste of competing in the show jumping arena.
When I moved to Vermont, I worked for an equine veterinarian, running the entire office operation and gaining extensive hands-on experience while assisting. It was during this time that I witnessed many horses suffering from severely sore backs due to ill fitting saddles.
Trying to find a saddle for my own Morgan mare was a difficult process in itself and that experience ultimately gave me the incentive to become more educated about saddle fitting. This long journey has spiked an interest in saddle fitting in general and led me to the purchase of the pressure scanning system that I now offer as a service to you. I believe this system to be the most beneficial of the many I have researched, as it uniquely offers a dynamic and in-motion saddle pressure scan. What a fabulous use of technology!
Never one to stop learning, I soon developed a keen interest in the details and complexities of the physical process of saddle fitting, the logical "next step" to me after performing a dynamic saddle scan. After extensive research I enrolled in an exclusive saddle fitting program with Mike Scott, a Master Saddler (and equine and human massage therapist) in South Carolina. His course is an intensive 6 month program which only accepts a few students each year.
With this combination of knowledge, I can apply the information from a dynamic saddle scan to properly adjust and fit the saddle to the horse, providing my clients a turn-key service.
Education and Training
- 6 months extensive saddle fitting and flocking training with Mike Scott in Camden, SC. Mike holds Certification form the Cumbria School of Saddlery in the UK and completed the Master Saddlers Association Saddle Fitters Certification Program here in the US. Mike is also a human and equine Nationally Certified Massage Therapist and publisher of multiple books and CD’s relating to saddle fitting and equine and canine massage.
- Intership with Tarquin Cosack / Owner of Hofsattlerei Cosack custom saddlery for English and Western saddles, Arnsberg/Germany.
- Multiple visits and training sessions at Black Country Saddles, Walsall/England
- Advanced saddle fitting training with Eberhard Weiss, Germany – consultant for the international association of integrative veterinary medicine / Germany. FEI dressage instructor. Mr Weiss also developed the trapezius relief pad for Passier and is the the co-author of the book ‘Mediz. Sattellehre’ (medical saddle fitting) which he wrote with veterinarian and equine physiotherapist Dr. Robert Stodulk.
- Several visits to the Passier saddle plant in Hannover/Germany. I had the opportunity to watch every single process of how their saddles and trees are made. All components of their saddles are made in Germany and quality control is of the utmost importance there. Customizing a saddle is free of charge (except for more expensive leather).
- I continue my saddle fitting training/education with yearly trips to Europe. I visit German trade shows to educate myself about new saddle developments and I continue to study with saddle makers in Germany and the UK.
I have helped various equestrian organizations to fit saddles for their horses and have presented educational seminars for non-profits.
Learning the ropes of working on saddles
Cosack Custom Saddlery/Germany
Owner: Tarquin Cosack
Eberhard Weiss, Co-author of the book Medical Saddle Fitting
Brita and Passier CEO, Mr. Dirk Kannemeier (5th generation of Passier)