A native of Germany, Brita's profession for many years was as an interpreter for German, English and French for a number of international companies. She has traveled extensively internationally and lived in London, Paris, the Caribbean and Bermuda.
Always with a horse from the age of four and on, she rode competitively in Germany, competing up to 4th level dressage and eventing to Prelim. While working in France, she got to compete in the show jumping arena.
Brita left Germany in 1995 and first lived moved to Vermont where she worked for an equine veterinarian for 3 years. It was during this time that she witnessed many horses suffering from severely sore backs due to ill fitting saddles. Horses had behavioral issues and in some cases physical damage from saddles that were to wide, too narrow or just plain didn't fit. Trying to find a saddle which fit her own horse was a difficult process in itself and that experience ultimately gave her the incentive to become more educated about saddle fitting.
Never one to stop learning, she soon developed a keen interest in the details and complexities of the physical process of saddle fitting.
Education and Training
- After extensive research she enrolled in an exclusive saddle fitting program with Mike Scott in Camden, SC. His course is an intensive 6 month program which only accepts a few students each year. This course included internships, research work, saddle repairs, case studies and a big part was also attributed to the equine anatomy. Mike is also a human and equine Nationally Certified Massage Therapist and publisher of multiple books and CD’s relating to saddle fitting and equine and canine massage.
- Intership with Tarquin Cosack / Owner of Hofsattlerei Cosack custom saddlery for English and Western saddles, Arnsberg/Germany.
- Multiple visits and training sessions at Black Country Saddles, Walsall/England
- Advanced saddle fitting training with Eberhard Weiss, Germany – consultant for the international association of integrative veterinary medicine / Germany. FEI dressage instructor. Mr Weiss is the co-author of the book ‘Mediz. Sattellehre’ (medical saddle fitting) which he wrote with veterinarian and equine physiotherapist Dr. Robert Stodulka.
- Several visits to the Passier saddle factory in Hannover/Germany.
- She continues her saddle fitting training/education with yearly trips to Europe. She visits German trade shows to educate herself about new saddle developments and continues to study with saddle makers in Germany and the UK.
- Working with saddle and pad manufacturers to improve their products. Dynamic Equine worked with Passier to develop a monoflap jumping saddle available exclusively by Dynamic Equine in the US.
Cosack Custom Saddlery/Germany
Meeting Passier CEO Mr. Dirk Kannemeier (right) and Manager Thomas Klemp (left) at Spoga trade show
Eberhard Weiss, Co-author of the book Medical Saddle Fitting